Chrisman Studio Artist Program
Named in recognition of the support of Sarah and Roger Chrisman, the Chrisman Studio Artist Program beginning with the 21|22 Season will be making changes to the program and the audition process. Please review below.
Opera Santa Barbara is seeking submissions from California based artists: singers, pianists, stage directors, conductors, and other professionals pursuing or interested in a career in opera production and administration. Artists can be considered for all available opportunities including mainstage productions or placement in our newly expanded Chrisman Studio Artist Program. It is a growing priority for Opera Santa Barbara to showcase locally and regionally based artists.
Opera Santa Barbara is an equal opportunity employer. We recognize the historic lack of racial diversity in the workforce of the Performing Arts with a Western European origin, and are committed to providing opportunities for artists of all backgrounds.
Please submit all inquiries and materials through our designated Google Form. Although applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, preference will be given to artists who apply by July 15th for the Chrisman Studio Artist Program.
If you have any questions or problems with the form please email [email protected].
Information about our new Chrisman Studio Artist Program:
- PROGRAM EXPANSION AND REGIONAL FOCUS: Beginning with the 2021-22 season Opera Santa Barbara will shift from our traditional, seasonal 4 artists-in-residence program, to a new model that aims at providing training and performance opportunities to a larger and more diverse group of promising young artists based in California.
Artists will be selected based on their career potential in performance and other areas of the performing arts industry.
- TRAINING ON-STAGE AND OFF: Our studio artists will have free access to year-round training with top industry professionals. Training opportunities may include voice lessons, vocal coachings, dramatic coaching, movement, masterclasses, and more. In addition to performance training, Chrisman Studio Artists will receive training and hands-on experience in all aspects of performing arts administration and production, according to their individual interests and skills. The overall goal of the Opera Santa Barbara Chrisman Studio is to better prepare artists for an industry that increasingly requires them to be enterprising individuals as well as performing at a high level.
- SHORT-TERM RESIDENCIES & CONTRACTS: Along with the free training opportunities, Chrisman Studio Artists will be offered short performance contracts for assignments customized to each artist’s strengths and skill level. These opportunities may include community concerts, mainstage roles, cover assignments, educational programming, digital content creation, and more. By focusing on California artists, scheduling training opportunities on weekends, and offering intermittent, short residency contracts, it is our hope to make participation possible for young artists who may need to stay close to home and make a living from multiple sources.
- COMPENSATION consists of a combination of:
- Performance Fees
- Payment for administrative work or other duties provided
- Travel and training stipends