Opera SB Holiday Gift Guide 2018
Have an opera lover in your life? Don’t know what to get them for Christmas? We’ve got you covered.
Our Opera SB Holiday Gift Guide 2018 has some fun gift ideas for those new to opera and long time fans. From clever shirts to recently Grammy nominated opera albums, your Secret Santa will be thrilled.
Our Holiday Gift Guide
- Opera Glasses – This one’s a classic. Stylish and modern, you’ll want to go to the opera just to bring these out. No matter where you sit, you’ll look fabulous. / (Bed Bath & Beyond)
- “They Call Me Mimi” Shirt – I too have wondered how you get “Mimi” as a nickname for “Lucia.” Either way, this clever shirt is a fun tribute to La Bohème’s doomed heroine. There’s a variety of shops playing off this theme but buying this one from Schmopera supports an ad-free blog that’s all things opera. (Schmopera)
- “The Most Beautiful Opera Houses in the World” Coffee Table Book – When you’re not enjoying opera live in a gorgeous theatre, you can leaf through the pages of this stunning book showcasing some of the world’s grandest opera houses. (Barnes & Noble)
- “(R)Evolution of Steve Jobs” CD – Composer Mason Bates and librettist Mark Campbell’s new opera explores the spiritual evolution of one of the tech giants of the 21st century. “Bates’s score dazzles with a glossy mix of lyrical and rhythmic music, combining traditional and electronic instrumentation. Campbell’s compelling, funny, and touching libretto interweaves universal themes of communication and connection, treating its subject with respect and humanity.”(Seattle Opera) It premiered at the Santa Fe Opera last year and was just nominated for a Grammy in Best Opera Recording. This is a stocking stuffer you might want to keep for yourself. (Amazon)
- Opera Santa Barbara 25th Anniversary Gala Tickets – Well, we definitely saved the best gift for last. Opera SB is celebrating 25 years this season and we’re having a big party! We’re having a concert at the Lobero Theatre featuring opera’s greatest hits sung by returning favorite artists. Former OSB Artistic Director Valery Ryvkin joins Artistic and General Director Kostis Protopapas in conducting a concert honoring OSB co-founder Marilyn Gilbert. The evening begins with a champagne reception on the Lobero terrace, and concludes with cocktails, dinner, and dancing at the El Paseo restaurant following the performance. We’ve got concert only tickets as well as all-inclusive tickets for both concert and the party. You don’t want to miss out! (Lobero Theatre / All-Inclusive Tickets: [email protected] or 805 898 3890)