Don Pasquale 2013; David Bazemore Photo
Friday, April 26, 2013, 7:30pm
Sunday, April 28, 2013, 2:30pm
- This Opera Santa Barbara production of Don Pasquale was opera for everyone - an irresistible mix of comedy, great music, and delicious, wholehearted, and endlessly absorbing song. From the opening notes to the closing laughs, the show held together seamlessly; Philip Cokorinos was terrific as the production's lead; Zulimar López-Hernández dazzled as Norina; Javier Abreu sang and acted with humor and soul; Michael Krzankowski sang beautifully as the ringmaster Doctor Malatesta; Efraín Solís provided a Marx-brothers touch as the notary, and maestro Francesco Milioto coaxed wondrous sounds out of the orchestra. With this kind of consistency and quality, Opera Santa Barbara looks set to do even greater things in the coming years.
– Charles Donelan / Santa Barbara Independent
- The hoots were plentiful and well deserved during Opera Santa Barbara’s lively staging of Donizetti’s masterpiece Don Pasquale; it was both a first-class professional singing triumph and a comedic acting home run. Opera SB’s Artistic Director, Jose Maria Condemi provided a subtle subtext of comedic schtick and visual gag. A remarkably gifted cast romped through this meringue of a plot. Donizetti’s delicious tunes have drawn audiences to Don Pasquale for 170 years, and the OSB cast was in particularly fine voice on Sunday. Under the driving tempi of conductor Francesco Milioto in his OSB debut, the production pulsed with combustive musical energy.
– Daniel Kepl / CASA Magazine
- Opera Santa Barbara closed its 19th season on a high and humorous note with Donizetti's comedic masterpiece Don Pasquale, starring New York Metropolitan Opera veteran Philip Cokorinos in the principal role, alongside an equally impressive cast including Zulimar Lopez-Hernandez as Norina and Javier Abreu as Ernesto. Josh Epstein's lighting design and Stacie Logue's costumes added wonderfully to the mix of this highly entertaining battle of wits production.
– Richard Mineards | Montecito Journal
- Production Originally Directed and Designed for Virginia Opera by John Pascoe
Photo and Video Gallery
Click on a video to play or an image to enlarge.
Cast & Credits
Click on bolded names to view artist bios.
- Conductor: Francesco Milioto
- Stage Director:
- Production: Virginia Opera/John Pascoe
- Lighting Design: Josh Epstein
- Costume Design: Stacie Logue
- Hair/Makeup Design: Heather Sterling
CastDon Pasquale: Philip Cokorinos
- Norina: Zulimar López-Hernández
- Ernesto: Javier Abreu
- Malatesta: Michael Krzankowski
- Notary: Efraín Solís