The Elixir of Love, March 2008, David Bazemore Photo
The Elixir of Love
Saturday, March 1, 2008, 7:30pm
Friday, March 7, 2008, 7:30pm
Sunday, March 9, 2008, 2:30pm
- Opera Santa Barbara presented Donizetti's comic-opera "The Elixir of Love," a comedy full of sunshine with wonderfully lilting, melodic music. The superb Nemorino, Robert McPherson, acted the role as if he lived it, with passionate Italian singing to match. It would be hard to conjure up a more smashingly attractive setting for a smashingly attractive opera company than OSB at home in the lovely city of Santa Barbara. By all means focus a Santa Barbara holiday around OSB's productions.
– Opera Warhorses
- Opera Santa Barbara's version of 'L'elisir d'amore' tasted like good wine at a great party. Nemorino was wonderfully sung by Robert McPherson. From the charming cast, to Miller James's colorful costumes and Valéry Ryvkin's expert conducting, the music was a pleasure, and Opera Santa Barbara should be congratulated on giving us all a genuinely enjoyable night out, full of delicious sounds.
– James Hanley Donelan / Santa Barbara Independent
Photo and Video Gallery
Click on a video to play or an image to enlarge.
The Lobero Theatre
33 East Canon Perdido Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Box Office: 805.963.0761
Cast & Credits
Click on bolded names to view artist bios.
- Conductor: Valéry Ryvkin
- Stage Director: Vernon Hartman
- Set Design: Jean-François Revon
- Lighting Design: Mark Somerfield
- Costume Design: Miller James
CastNemorino: Robert McPherson
- Adina: Susan Holsonbake
- Dulcamara: Michael Wanko
- Belcore: Nicolai Janitzky
- Gianetta: Erika Bucholz